this year i know that lilianna is particularly vulnerable to what the other kids will bring home from school. with this in mind, we are going to be more careful than ever to make sure the kids wash their hands when they get home from school. but i have been wondering, what else can we do to keep illnesses to a minimum?
seventh generation, through myblogspark, recently sent me some ways to help the kids stay healthy this school year:
optimize the immune system
- reap the benefits of probiotics like those found in yogurt. a recent study showed that children who received enough probiotics daily throughout the cold and flu season had a significant reduction in the number of illnesses they had and, when they did get sick, the symptoms were both milder and didn't last as long.
- be sure your child is getting plenty of vitamin d from the sun, from food, or from a supplement.
- build a strong foundation. good food, good sleep, and good physical activity all help the immune system to flourish.
- teach children the key times to clean their hands in the classroom. the most important times include after sneezing, coughing or using the restroom, upon leaving "high-risk" places (recess, naptime, play stations) and before meals or snacks.
- sixty percent of teachers surveyed said that they request that parents donate disinfecting wipes to the classroom.
- stress the importance of not touching their eyes, nose or mouth. germs are often spread when a person touches something that is contaminated with germs and then touches his or her eyes, nose, or mouth.
- demonstrate to your children how to cover their mouth and nose for every cough and sneeze. this simple maneuver has spectacular results in decreasing the spread of viruses and bacteria floating about the room, waiting to be inhaled.
since it is healthier to use tissues than a washable handkerchief, i was excited to learn about seventh generation's tissues as well. now my kids can throw away their germs and still be eco-friendly.
we will also be disinfecting other surfaces with the seventh generation multi-purpose cleaner and seventh generation paper towels. i am starting to feel much more prepared for the kids to go back to school. of course, i might also need to make sure they have a few other supplies like notebooks, pencils and even clothes!
if you need a little help feeling more ready for school, my blogspark and seventh generation have a gift pack available for one of you. simply leave a comment below telling me what you plan to do this school year to keep your child or your home germ free. i will choose a winner using random.org on august 31.
i received a package including seventh generation disinfecting wipes (2 canisters), paper towels, tissues, multi-purpose cleaner and a backpack from my blogspark and seventh generation. regardless, the thoughts and opinions expressed here are purely my own.